April 29, 2012

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

This movie is based on the book, I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell, written by Tucker Max, who also co-wrote the screenplay of the film. The book enjoyed a significant amount of success, making it to the bestsellers list. The movie, however, received negative feedback as reflected by the reviews of the critics, and the box-office figures.

I completely understand now why other people hate Tucker Max. Hell, even he calls himself an ass. He isn't exactly a role model for the youth, or for anyone for that matter. But the thing is, I don't think he's trying to be one. He just shares his experiences, most of which are insulting to certain people. I guess, if ever you're gonna watch this film, or read his book, you should be open to the possibility that he doesn't live a conventional life. That there are things that will offend you. there are things you will find disgusting or inhumane. There are things that will not please you. But for now, I'll focus on the film itself; although it is hard to separate the content from the film.

Sure, it wasn't the best movie out there, but I think it was far from the worst. It was not as bad as its Wikipedia page made it seem. The way I saw it was it attempted to depict different issues or concerns in the lightest manner possible, tying it up with excessive and raunchy humor. I think the main theme of the film is relationship, whether building it or ruining it. It includes selfishness, hatred, infidelity, and lots of other things.

The film was as naughty as a film could get. It was filled with raunchy scenes and foul humor. Sometimes, it went a little extreme. There were nude scenes and there's no way the film could claim it was done for the sake of art.

The interaction of Drew and Lara was definitely one of the best parts of the film. It's dynamic and hilarious, with a little twist of sensitivity. The whole thing, from the scene where they met, to where it lead to was really interesting, considering their personalities and backgrounds. Drew was distant, cold, and overwhelmed by the recent events that had happened. Lara's character was, I guess, a perfect complement for him.

The other highlight was the scene in Tucker's hotel, specifically the one shot in the lobby. I was laughing so hard at that scene. That was the funniest part of the movie for me. Hands down my favorite part of the movie. That had me laughing for minutes. I guess the movie played it out to be the turning point, wherein everything that could go wrong already was going wrong. I think this was supposed to be the part where Tucker Max would finally feel the need for conversion.

I liked the ending. I would have been disappointed if the movie ended in another way. I liked how the characterization of Tucker Max was consistent until the end. That made me feel that the movie was coherent at least. I also want to say that the speech was very well-written, at least I thought it was.

I understand the criticisms of this film, or even the extreme hatred some people feel towards it. I fully understand. But I won't deny the entertainment value this movie has. It wasn't the best film. I wasn't even sure if it was a good film. But it had its entertainment value, and for me that was enough to sit through the movie and enjoy it. (Although, I would admit, that a couple of scenes were really nasty, both figuratively and literally)

Of course, I would have to say that this kind of film will not appeal to half the population of the world. The conservatives because this is a pretty liberated film, the religious because this film does not exactly depict morality, and all the people who are not very open-minded. I think I enjoyed the film to a certain extent because I kept my mind open. I didn't watch the film to be inspired, or to be moved. I don't think it was made for that. I think it was made to entertain, and I just took it that way.

There's a message in this story, and it's a pretty good one. It's a lesson about friendship and lifestyle. But, at the end of the day, this movie will be a comedy film, whose aim is to make people laugh. It made me laugh, and just because of that, I w'll say the movie is worth seeing. Go rent it out, if that is still a cool thing to do nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment