June 20, 2012

The Losers

The Losers was a 2010 action movie based on the comic book series of the same title by Vertigo Comics. It was directed by Sylvain White and starred Jeffery Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana, Jason Patric, Chris Evans, Idris Elba, Columbus Short, and Oscar Jaenada. The plot was focused on the revenge of "The Losers"  when they found out that a guy named Max wanted them dead. After faking their deaths, they continued to live ion Bolivia to create a plan to get back at Max. Here's where Aisha (Saldana) comes in when she offers to help the gang locate Max. Then follows their quest to put their plans into motion and claim their victorious revenge against Max.

The movie did not please the critics, and did not perform well in the box office either. Personally, I liked it. It's something I could watch again and would enjoy again. People complained about how little the film was doing, but that's one thing I liked about it. It didn't overdo anything. It stuck to its simplistic portrayal of the story, gathered amazing actors to play the revenge seeking gang, and it worked. I'm not saying it's a great movie, but it's a lot better than some of the critics made it seem. It had its faults. Several things could have been improved and I would no longer mention them. But I guess everyone who saw the film would agree that some things could have been done better. Having said that, I thought it was unfair for people to put down the movie the way they did because even though the film had its faults, it also had its merits.

I never saw the comic book series, but I did research about it after seeing the movie and from what I read, the movie tried to follow the original premise of the comic book story. Also, I also liked the action sequences, the craftiness of the planning stage to the execution. I especially enjoyed the first encounter of Morgan;s character and Saldana's character, it was rough and raw and an unlikely start to a partnership. Plus it felt natural and it didn't feel like everything was placed or rehearsed. It just went naturally. It also didn't hurt that it was very enjoyable to witness the two get into each other's throats, literally.

I enjoyed the drama of the gang having the urge to kill someone who deliberately executed a plan to kill them. At the same time, I also chuckled at the few comic reliefs the movie provided, mostly in the form of Jensen, Chris Evans' character. Also, I found it amusing how the character of Max turned out. He was all evil but a quirky one. While at it, it was really weird seeing Jason Patric in this role, he's better suited as the good guy, I think. But it was a great kind of weird. It showcased his versatility.

To be honest, I really didn't care about the romance part of it, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Zoe Saldana had the connection. It just didn't work for me. That's one of the things that really didn;t work in my opinion. Just thought I'd include this. But yeah, as a whole, I had fun watching the movie. Again, I'm not claiming it to be a would-blow-you-away movie but I am saying it's worth a shot. If you end up not liking it, then at least you saw it to make a judgment. If you like it, then good, join our (those who actually liked the movie) side.

No comments:

Post a Comment