November 16, 2011

Tower Heist

I just saw Tower Heist. It's a movie about a building manager wanting to get the money of his staff back after a business man took their pensions, and for some, savings. I think more than a movie, it reflects certain conditions on society: people working hard to earn enough to get by or to support a family(as depicted by Casey Affleck's character), people taking advantage of other people (as depicted by Alan Alda's character) and the people stuck in between. It has a social, and maybe a political, sense to it.

The beginning of the film, I must say, was really boring. I know the story was just starting to build up, but I almost fell asleep. I was talking to some friends and we all agreed that it was not a good film. One even commented that it was a waste of money.

However, as the film progressed, I think we all felt a 180 degree turn and found ourselves amused, to say the least, by the film. Personally, I thought the movie took off once Ben Stiller started planning about the heist. It was a typical planning stage: round up the people, create a strategic game plan, survey the area of interest, etc. However, its the funny dialogues that made it very entertaining. I am easily amused, so even the slightest hint of humor makes me laugh. One of the funniest scenes in the movie was the part when Ben Stiller invited Gabourey Sidibe to join the heist.

Josh (Stiller): "It's time to talk about the elephant in the room."
Odessa (Sidibe): "What did you just call me?"

I think more than the humor itself, I think it was the delivery of the lines, combined with their facial expressions, that cracked me up.

I didn't understand half of the things Eddie Murphy said, but i still enjoyed the film. To be completely honest, I think Eddie Murphy was a lot funnier before. I remember being a fan of "The Nutty Professor," and laughing so hard because he really was a great comedy actor. Having said that, I think Murphy, looking at his recent works, is not as bad as other people perceive him. I still find him funny; maybe not as funny as before, but still funny. I just thought I'd put it out there.

After the movie took off, I found it highly entertaining. I was laughing out loud during some parts of the film. Overall, I thought it was a good film. Aside from a rather slow start, I really liked the film. I actually wish the movie was longer, as I thought the movie could have elaborated (in a film sense) more on some things. But, I guess it was still a good ending to a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment