October 14, 2012

Robin Hood

Two words can describe the entirety of this movie: authenticity and credibility. These two words, I believe, can sum up the whole experiencing of watching Robin Hood, the 2010 epic adventure drama film starring Russell Crowe. It was directed by Ridley Scott, who also directed Gladiator. The film also featured Cate Blanchett, Mark Strong, Max von Sydow, Kevin Durand, Scott Grimes, Alan Doyle, Oscar Isaac, Lea Seydoux, Mark Addy, Danny Huston, and Eileen Atkins.

The partnership of Crowe and Ridley Scott is divine. I don't know how Scott pushed Crowe, but I though Crowe was able to pull off his characters with great valor and excellence in both movies I've seen he did with Scott. Gladiator was a phenomenal film I looked forward to seeing this almost immediately. In all honesty, if only time permitted me to do so, I would have watched this movie right after Gladiator. But at the same time, I also knew it was a good thing as I wanted to savor the majestic experience that is the Galdiator. I wouldn't have suspected that Robin Hood would be just much of a thrill.

The story tells the tale of Robin Hood, known to most as an outlaw, a thief, a criminal. A man who didn't always do the right thing, but always meant well for the poor people he encountered. While he stole, he only stole from the rich to provide for the poor. A thief with a heart. This movie provided a narration of how such a man became who he became. A noble man who fought in a war, only to find himself in uncommon circumstances. This was the prequel to the famous tale of Robin Hood. I thought the storyline was brilliant, and it gave justice to the legacy of Robin Hood. It demonstrated how fair he was, and also how strong and clever he was. This plot was good enough to maintain the "hero" status of a man who justified the means with the end. Maybe that's just how I saw it, and that's how I interpreted it.

The authenticity of the film had something to do with the credibility of the actors. If you've seen Gladiator, you'd know that there's no one more credible to take up a sword than Russell Crowe. This was his league, his expertise. He knew how to handle a weapon, and knew exactly how to use them.It always felt real when he took up a sword ans swung it to his opponents. When he got his hands on a bow and arrow, and let out a beautiful shot. His mere presence demands attention, and his skills was for pure spectacle. He's one of the biggest names in the business, and I'm glad he still has a lot of projects. His a very talented actor and one I look up to.

Cate Blanchett, Kevin Durand, Scott Grimes, Alan Doyle and the rest of the cast were all equally credible in portraying their respective roles. I'd have to say though that these 4, along with Crowe, of course, were my absolute favorites in the movie. They were firm when they were in the battlefield, but loose and funny when they weren't. They allowed the entertainment value of the movie to skyrocket just with their dynamics and camaraderie. It was awesome to watch them. They gave the sense of lightness with their words, but a real sense of what knight were with their stature and stand. It was, in a way, majestic, to witness it all play out and how their characters evolved through the movie's run.

It's a spectacle, and one to linger at that. It's one of those movies that keeps your mind on it long after the ending credits have finished rolling. It's one that invites and allows you to invest yourself and to be involved in it. I pictured myself being in it because the movie provided the opportunity to do so. It wasn't a distant movie, but rather a close one, and that made a huge difference in terms of what kind of movie experience I'll be having. I really had a great time watching the movie. It was exciting and free-spirited and I liked those things about it. It kept me on the edge of my seat, as one would say. I appreciate a movie that can do that.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment