December 09, 2012

Rise of the Guardians

I wasn't too thrilled like the others when I saw the trailer of this movie. It was funny, but not enough to convince me to go see it. But a friend of mine wanted to watch it and I tagged along. I guess it was a pleasant surprised as I didn't expect to have such a great time in the movies, considering I have just finished work.

Rise of the Guardians is an animated movie by DreamWorks, who also did the Shrek franchise. It stars Chris Pine as Jack Frost, Alec Baldwin as Santa Claus, Hugh Jackman as the Easter Bunny, Isla Fisher as the Tooth Fairy, Jude Law as Pitch, Dakota Goyo as the child, and although no one voiced him, I'd like to include the Sandman in this list. I also consider the movie as a comedy, superhero movie given its premise. Unfortunately, the film isn't bringing in enough numbers in the box-office, which is really tough since it was released along with the finale of the Twilight Saga and the latest Bond film, which broke box-office records. It was probably tough to compete with these two, even though RIse of the Guardians had a completely different market.

It's probably one of the funniest animated, children's movie I've seen. Also, dare I say it, one of the cutest. Especially Sandy who stole the hearts of just about everyone in the cinema, proved by the constant expression of different people of "cute" whenever he appeared. Another one worth noticing for the "cute" aspect of the film was the transformation of the Easter Bunny. However, aside from it being cute, it was also hysterical. The members of the audience were literally laughing uncontrollably throughout the movie. It was amazing how a children's movie was being able to trigger emotions from adults (there was almost no children in the movie house when I went). I;m pretty sure the hilarity of it was one of the main reasons why everyone we were all having time. I've been told it was a funny movie by my officemate but I didn't expect this level of quality of humor. It was a joy to watch.

It was an interesting choice to transform childhood figures to be sort of superheroes with weapons, which I though was really cool. Who knew the Easter bunny was a hardcore boomerang thrower. Or that Santa's efficient in sword fighting. I have to confess through that I didn't know who Jack Frost was. I live in a tropical county; snow is definitely out of the picture. I didn't know the idea behind Jack Frost so it was interesting and new for me to see his character develop. I got to know the concept of him through the process.

The movie had a simple, but decent story line. It was about hope, belief, and goodness. It's about protecting the ideals of children: basically, protecting their childhood. The gang was ready to take on the task even though it was a very tough one. It did sound convincing though. Which reminds me, I never figured out Alec Baldwin was the voice of Santa Claus on;y because he dubbed the character with a sort of Russian voice that didn't sound like him at all. That's great voice acting right there. The others did well too. Hugh Jackman, Jude Law, Isla Fisher and of course, Chris Pine were all amazing at lending their voices for this movie. Truly awesome.

I'm a little disappointed this movie's not performing too well on the box-office, but I hope they recover their losses in DVD. That way, it will also mean that more people had the chance and opportunity to watch this incredible film. It was very witty! That's what I liked most about it.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page

No comments:

Post a Comment