December 22, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I had the opportunity to watch The Hobbit a few days ago, but only had the chance to write about it now. Although I haven't read the books, I can say that I still enjoyed the movie.  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was the first movie in the trilogy that will present a prequel for The Lord of The Rings. It was directed by Peter Jackson and stars Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen. The movie has already grossed over 200 million dollars worldwide, and it's just in its second week. The movie will probably earn double of that amount by the time it's finished its run. I'm just guessing. 

The first part of the movie wasn't too impressive. For an ultra-hyped movie, I expected it to grab me within the first few minutes, but it didn't. It was a little boring actually, and given I hadn't had any sleep that time, I was ready to be disappointed. However, after the initial reaction, my sentiments quickly changed, and all very sudden at that. It was so sudden, I couldn't point out where it started to get good. But it did, and it did so drastically. It quickened its pace, but not too quick to make it seem being rushed. I do have to say that the first part brought me down memory lane because of the connection this movie established with the LOTR franchise. It was very nostalgic to see Frodo and Bilbo together again. 

The rest of the movie ranged from good to amazing. Sure there were a couple of parts they could have cut off, but also some parts that really triggered a sense of excitement and satisfaction as a viewer. It was also good that they still had some funny moments even though the movie was all bout action and thrill. It had a balance that provided quality entertainment. I especially enjoyed the parts they were being chased, or being attacked. I thought those moments were the best scenes in the movie. I wouldn't give too much away since I'm sure some of you haven't seen it yet. But yeah, look out for those parts. They were really good, and the execution was nothing less than perfect. 

Martin Freeman was a great Bilbo Baggins. He was on point in every single scene and was a real scene-stealer. Ian Holm did a great portrayal of Bilbo, but Martin Freeman made sure to step up to te plate and rise up to the challenge. He was really good in the movie. Took on the role like he was that character. It was amazing to see that kind of performance. And it was even better to see Ian McKellen back as Gandalf. I could not imagine anyone else play Gandalf and it was almost majestic to see him in this role once again. It's impossible not to be too impressed by this guy. What made it even better was how the two of them managed to create this push and pull dynamics that made the movie much more interessting. 

Other stars returning to the franchise was Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Ian Holm, Elijah Wood, and Andy Serkis as the creature Gollum. It was refreshing to see these familiar faces on screen again on the very series that created this huge fanbase. However, the additional cast were just as amazing. Richard Armitage was a strong lead for the dwarves. His presence in the movie was always notable, and he delivered in his take o the character of Thorin. 

The movie ended really abruptly for me, with no clear resolution. I guess that's what's so weird for me in this movie. I know it's a trilogy so it can't end in a typical ending way. I don't even know what kind of ending I was expecting but I'm sure it wasn't that. The good thing was that it ended in a sort of cliff-hanger so it just created tat element of excitement and mystery. And that's not too bad at all. I guess the ending was ok, and I'm sure real fans of the book series will love it. As for me, I wanted a different one, but I wouldn't complain too much either. 

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment