September 23, 2012

Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties

I know this movie was panned by critics, and that some people didn't think the sequel was up to par with the original, but I just really enjoyed watching this. Believe me, I do understand what everyone's saying about it, but I just found the movie thrilling. Maybe it's because Garfield has been one of my favorite characters, or maybe I'm just that easy to please. I did like the first one better. I keep coming back to Garfield dancing to Hey Mama! by the Black Eyed Peas. Still one of the best scenes from a movie for me.

Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties was released two years after the original movie in 2006. It remained it's principal actors including Breckin Meyers as Jon, owner of Garfield and Odie, Jennifer Love Hewitt as Liz, Jon's love interest, and Bill Murray as the voice of Garfield. It added new people as well like Billi Connolly, Tim Curry, and Ian Abercrombie, who became one of my favorite characters in the movie. The movie had a modest income, earning a profit of around 100 million dollars.

First off, I thought the title was genius, referencing a classic novel. Then going into the story, it became even interesting as it alluded to Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper. For some reason, The Prince and the Pauper works really well with animated movies, like how Disney used it before. I believe it was Mickey Mouse who experienced being part of the literary classic. But yeah, I thought it was nice that they adapted it into a Garfield movie, which then translated to a funny comedic experience.

Bill Murray did a great job with providing his voice as Garfield. It's awesome. The small noises he created did the movie huge favors. It escalated the quality of entertainment of the movie. It's good that Tim Curry was also ready to step into the plate and deliver a voice performance just as good as Murray's. The two of them conversing about the widest range of things was definitely a highlight for me, especially their plan to throw off the film's antagonist. Breckin Meyer was also an awesome choice for the character of Jon. It's a shame Jennifer Love Hewitt had a shorter screen time cause she's a lovely lead actress. I remember thoroughly enjoying her performance in the first movie.

I thought the movie was great. It provided some laughs and was highly entertaining. That's on my part. This short post probably won't convince anyone to go watch it especially if they already have pre-conceived notions about it. I hope they do still try checking it out. I'm glad I did and I thought the movie was worth watching. I am actually hoping for a third installment but I know the chances are slim.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment