September 02, 2012

In Time

In-Time was a 2011 sci-fi drama movie written and directed by Andrew Niccol. It boasted a well-rounded cast including Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Olivia Wilde, Cillian Murphy, Johnny Galecki, Alex Pettyfer, Matt Bomer and Vincent Kartheiser. To be honest, the only reason I watched this movie was the actorsinvolved in it, especially Olivia Wilde and Johnny Galecki. As an avid TV fan, I really enjoyed watching House, which used to be my favorite TV show, and I still enjoy watching The Big Bang Theory. Both television shows brought a certain quality of entertainment which made me a loyal viewer. The movie went on to become a box office hit, which I wasn't all that surprised to hear since the movie was led by two of the most popular stars of the current generation.

The story was about a futuristic America wherein everyone stopped aging at 25, people used time as a mode of payment, and people were segregated by social classes. Will, Timberlake's character, lived in the poorest district with his mother, Rachel, played by Olivia Wilde. After a chance encounter with a well-timed man(I'm using this term to mean a person with a lot of time/resources), Will got over a century worth of time which would back him up to stir some changes in their society, especially after a tragic incident. On his quest to bring changes, he met Sylvia, the daughter of one of the most powerful man in the district of the rich. Their push and pull would cause friction, and also balance throughout the movie.

I found it very intriguing. While not absolutely revolutionary, it still offered a new, modern take on things, especially politics. Also, as a sci-fi movie, different elements came into play to construct such a story. It's like a sci-fi political story. It also had an economic side to it, using time as their primary currency. Then it went deep with the values of things, especially time. There were a lot of layers in the story and each made the story even more interesting. There were a lot of cliches in the movie, but at the same time, the very concept of it made it stand out.

It also utilized location. If I had to describe the locations they used, I'd say it was like The Hunger Games, where poor people lived in dirt, while the rich lived in extravagant residences. The locations were enough to separate the rich from the poor. It also had great musical backgrounds. At times rough, and at times solemn. Every music fit the scene perfectly.

I greatly enjoyed the movie. I know some didn't and some even absolutely hated it. As for me, I enjoyed the idea behind it. Probably the idea was the driving force why I enjoyed it, much more than the actual execution of the idea. At the same time, it's hard not to like the movie when such an idea was being transformed and bought to life, backed up by intense performances from the cast, amazing direction by Niccol and an overall awesome backdrop for the story. It did have some flaws, I'm not gonna lie. However, I can point out all the wrong things about it, and at the end of the day, I'll still like it.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment