August 07, 2012

August Rush

I was never aware that such a movie was made. In fact out of all the cast, I only recognized three of them, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Alex O'Loughlin and William Sadler. Since I don't think it's a very popular movie, allow me to introduce it to you. August Rush was a 2007 drama movie that starred Freddie Higmhore, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Robin Williams, Terrence Howard, William Sadler, Alex O'Loughlin, Jamia Simone Nash and Leon G. Thomas. It was directed by Kirsten Sheridan and was written by Nick Castle, James V. Hart and Paul Castro. Although not at all familiar, it seems like the movie did modestly in the box-office so maybe it's a popular one and I just didn't know about it until now.

It was really a dramatic movie. It was about two musicians, their love story (or the lack thereof), the child that they never knew, and the bond that would eventually bring them together. The mood throughout the entire movie was that of a melancholic one. It was all about sadness, isolation, longing and suffering. However, at the same time, it was also about hope, chances, and positivity. I actually liked how the story unfolded. It wasn't as realistic as some people would want it to be, but there was a certain mystery and fantasy like element that made it "charming". I personally thought the story was a good one, and that the execution of it was spectacular.

What I loved about this movie was hat it was a giant celebration of music. It had wonderful melodies, beautiful songs and an excellent orchestra to back things up. It used different types of musical instruments like guitars, pianos, violins, cellos, flutes, and many more. It was a musical extravaganza and I liked every sound I heard. It featured classical music which I'm not really a big fan of. But because they added their own twist in it, modernizing the classics, it really appealed to me. The beats and rhythm they created using normal instruments were really worth taking note of.

It was a little surprising to see the cast in a musical element. I didn't know Jonathan Rhys Meyers could sing, and even Alex O'loughlin. I'm actually not sure if the actors were actually playing the instruments, but if they are, there's a whole lot more of respect that must be given to them. It was like a big jam session in a classical school. It actually could have been a school themed musical movie, and I probably would still enjoy it. The music featured just greatly appealed to me. It was also a nice introduction to Freddie Highmore, who apparently is already a big star having done multiple movies. The kid's really good and very believable. He had this innocence and fire that fit the character perfectly. It was also nice to be introduced to Keri Russell. I don't think I've seen any of her other works so this was a good starting point of getting to know her.

I read a comment that said that it's not a movie for everyone. While I understood the sentiment, probably because of the gravity of intense melancholy revolving around the movie, I still thought "Why not?" People always say that music is universal, and this movie had lots of music, and very good ones at that. I truly believe that it's a movie that people will appreciate, even if they don't entirely enjoy it. I just don't think it's possible to fully hate on this movie. I think people are bound to like at least parts of it at least. I even think that the music featured in this movie has the capacity to entice the viewers and make them feel the movie a little more.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment