August 16, 2012

Fools Rush In

Fools Rush In was a 1997 comedy-drama movie starring Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek. It was directed by Andy Tennant, and was written by Katherine Reback and Joan Taylor. Just to share, I had a feeling a woman wrote this movie so I was a little amused to find out that two girls wrote it; at least to me, it was. It didn't get the feedback it hoped it would. Although it did manage to earn profit in the box-office, thought not much. It was the story about two people who met randomly. Then the movie explored the unexpected meeting, the even more unexpected results of that meeting, the actions they took afterwards, and the interpretation of signs the encountered.

Look, it wasn't the best of movies, but it wasn't a bad one either. It had its own merits and it had substantial value. It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. It was a lot cheesier than I thought it would be. However, I still found myself digging it. I like Mattew Perry, and I like Salma Hayek. These two were enough reasons to enjoy myself. It was weird seeing them in those roles cause it's not very typical of them to attack those roles.

The movie was actually a realistic, and somehow accurate portrayal of the complications of a relationship, which I'm, pretty sure was the objective of the movie. It was even more complicated since it was one involving two very different people from different backgrounds, religion, culture and even religion.  It was multi-dimensional because the relationship was between a Latina and a Caucasian man. I think they tried to make the two protagonists as different as possible to highlight how two different people can be in a relationship. It showcased the struggles couples go through, the reasons they fight and the problems they face. For me, the movie was all about the sorrows and triumphs of a relationship, especially one with two people who grew up miles apart.

I still thought the movie had smart moments. I felt like they had a clear plan of what to do, a very precise storyboard. I just don't know if it was the execution, or the weight of the material that made it just a little underwhelming. Again, it wasn't a bad movie. I just expected a bit more, especially since they could have utilized Perry's wits and humor. It was a little dramatically charged, probably. It had the potential to be one of the better comedy movies. I guess the best part of the movie was the infusion of the Latino culture and lifestyle. I found that very interesting. It evoked a sense of admiration o my part so that's a good sign.

It wouldn't be too bad to watch the movie. Probably won't put it on my top recommended, but if you got time and enjoy a feel-good movie, this movie just might do the trick. Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek, again, are enough reasons to appreciate the movie. By the way, Matthew Perry has a new sitcom, Go On, and I saw the pilot episode. I really liked it, and I really think this time, this show can be on air for a while. It was funny and quirky, and very Matthew Perry. It has a lot of potential, and I really think it's a great addition to TV.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page. 

1 comment:

  1. Omg the background of your website is brown in color so when I go to read what you have written it's very hard to even read it did you even consider that when you were making your website I can barely read what you wrote because of the color differences please fix it and duh

    ReplyDelete