August 10, 2012

The Bourne Legacy

Avid readers of this site will know that I've been waiting for The Bourne Legacy the moment I knew about it several months ago. I even created a post on why I was excited to see it, watching the stars of the movie being one of them. As a huge Jeremy Renner and Edward Norton fan, this movie had all the right things to make me excited about a movie. Plus it's an action movie, and we also know how much I enjoy these kind of movies.

I can say that it was really worth the wait. But first, let's start with the basics. The movie was directed by Tony Gilroy and was written by Tony Gilroy himself with Dan Gilroy. It starred Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz and Edward Norton as the three new faces of the Bourne galaxy. However, aside from these three, the movie also featured familiar faces like Joan Allen, David Strathairn, Scott Glenn, and many more. It also featured several new faces who added real excitement to the movie. The whole ensemble itself is one of themain reasns I saw the film, and one of the best reasons why you, whoever's reading this, should watch it.

I liked how they spent the first few minutes of the film establishing the connection of the fourth installment to the first three. I know a lot of people were skeptical about it as they weren't sure about how the movie would preserve its continuity with the first three movies. Because of this, I was glad that the movie spent some time making sure that the movie related to its predecessors. It identified who the new character was in the Bourne Universe, where he was while Jason Bourne was busy trying to evade capture, and what his connection was to the whole secret program being conducted. It linked him to Treadstone, but his story was different from Bourne's. Their stories did have some similarities, being targeted to be killed being the most prominent one.

After Aaron Cross was introduced, I appreciated that the movie focused on him and his story. While Bourne was still mentioned here and there, the movie did not overuse the Bourne name. It was all about Cross now and his struggle to be alive and o keep the woman who could save him alive as well. It was about how he got into the program and how the very same people want him dead. How he's evaded being killed like the others and how a doctor could potentially save him. It was about hs relationships and interactions with other people and it became a Cross movie, and no longer a Bourne movie.

I also enjoyed that the movie offered a variety of scenery. It filmed in different locations and that proved to be an advantage as it gave the movie contrast and it showcased some exotic locations. I'm not only talking about Manila but also Thailand. They also featured several other countries, and it was like a virtual field trip that I greatly enjoyed. I would say however, that I was very pleased with how they maximized these locations. I can't speak for other countries, or other people, but I was pleasantly surprised that the scenes they shot in Manila were great. Probably it's because it had a long chase scene, and again, we all know how much I enjoy those scenes. The bulk of their scenes in Manila was all about the action and the suspense. I even started not caring about the place but about the story and about the fight.

The ending was a bit abrupt, if I'll be completely honest. But at the same time, I liked it because it opened an opportunity for another installment. Now I'm really hoping that this movie will do well more on the box-office side just so the studios will continue the franchise. Also, I read somewhere, although I'm not sure if it's true, that Matt Damon would be open to do a Bourne movie with Renner. That would awesome. I'm calling it now, if that ever happens, that it will be a huge movie!

What I'm trying to say is, there are a lot of reasons to see the movie. Even if you don't have any reason, just go watch it and you'd still have the same feeling as the other people who got excited about it. It was tough, rough and edgy. It was hardcore and the action lived up to its hype. It's an amazing movie and I do hope people see it. The stars of the movie, and the director, made sure that they would give you a quality movie, and that in itself speaks of how great the movie was.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment