August 07, 2012

Megamind

Megamind was a 2010 animated movie starring Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt, Tina Fey and Jonah Hill. It was directed by Tom McGrath, who I thought did a splendid job with the movie. It was written by Alan J. Schoolcraft and Brent Simmons. Also part of the cast were Ben Stiller, David Cross, J.K. Simmons, Justin Theroux, and Tom McGrath himself. It was well-received and also became a huge commercial success. It's not surprising. It's the kind of movie that for sure would do well in the box-office. It's an animated movie, had a very popular cast, had great visuals, and was really for the kids. I;m sure the parents were pleased to bring their kids to the movie house to see this. I'm even more sure that grown-ups had a fantastic time with this movie.

I guess it's becoming a trend now to use villains as a lead character and turn it into hero like in Monster's Inc. or Despicable Me. Actually the movie had the same general flow as Despicable Me. I don't know which came out first but I sort of felt bad for the second. I don't think it's possible not to compare the two. Same genre, same plot, equally successful. The plot revolved around a man who wanted to be prove how bad he was, he found himself being the good guy. As for me, I enjoyed Despicable Me just a little bit better. I had a few more laughs there. Megamind was also a pretty entertaining one though.

Megamind had an all star ensemble and they carried the movie for me. I wish they utilized Tina Fey's comedic skills though. She was sometimes witty but she could have done a lot more. Tina Fey is one of the funniest people and I think the material she got played her wit down a bit. They did maximize Will Ferrell and Jonah Hill. I thought the material they got, and the screen time they got made the movie. Will Ferrell was an excellent voice actor, and I also could picture Jonah Hill actually playing the character just by listening to him.  It was funny to hear the conversations of Will Ferrell and Jonah Hill and imagine a comedy movie with them as the stars. Step Brothers meets Superbad.

I would also say that the movie had amazing visuals. For an animated movie, the quality of the visuals they presented was through the roof. Since it's also a superhero movie, they improvised new weapons that only added value to an already stellar graphic movie. Also, it had a good musical score. I liked listening to the background music they had. Music plus visual graphics and it's paradise for me.

Overall, it was a good movie. It was funny and also entertaining. It was still good despite some of the things I would have changed. I'm thinking of watching it again just to see if it will be better the second time around. I think it will be. But still had a good time the first time. Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Jonah Hill were stars in this movie, and their group dynamics presented a fun movie. It was fun and exciting, and also had a solid story.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment