November 28, 2012

Hot Fuzz

I've seen a lot of Simon Pegg movies, and I've never kept it a secret that I am a huge fan of the guy. As I watch his works, not only as an actor/all around funny guy, but also as a writer, I realize that this man is one intellectual person. It's also no secret, as I've written before that I had an amazing time watching Shaun of the Dead, written by Pegg with Edgar Wright, who also directed the movie. A movie that also featured Nick Frost. The reason I mention these three names is because this post will be about another product of the London trinity. 

I present you Hot Fuzz, an action/comedy/incredible movie about a Metro police being assigned in a far off village for being too exceptional. I probably should add thriller to its genre as it was very much like a suspense thriller movie as well; and thrilling it was! It was written by Pegg and Wright once again, with Wright being the film's director. Pegg and Frost starred in the movie alongside a number of exceptional actors including Jim Broadbent, Timothy Dalton, Paddy Considine, Rafe Spall, Kevin Eldon, Olivia Colman, Karl Johnson, Edward Woodward, Billie Whitelaw, Eric Mason, Stuart Wilson and many many more! It was well received by critics and the public alike garnering high ratings and a very successful box-office run. 

As much as I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, and trust me I did, I still found Hot Fuzz even better. I was surprised at how bloody and gory the movie got, but it just stepped up the movie's game for me. It's an action movie so I did expect blood, but it was even bloodier than expected. Of course everything was done with the sole purpose of complementing the script. It worked well wit the story, and the visuals weren't too disgusting, I thought. Surprising, yes, but not disgusting. I also loved how it went from a comedy to film to hardcore gun-firing, headbutting action movie. It remained true to its genre and actually had amazing action scenes. It was weird though that nobody seemed to have any aim, but that's besides the point. But yeah, I was quite impressed by the action element of the movie.

As a comedy film, no one can ever deny the superiority of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as comedy actors. They're funny and witty and have exact precision when delivering one-liners/punchlines. It's actually amazing how these two work so well together. They feed off from each other and that's what a great on screen partnership works. Actually the movie for me was more of an action mystery thriller than a comedy, although the presence of humor is very apparent. After all they are Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, two of the best comedy actors in the film industry. There I said it. 

This movie gave me chills with its mind-blowing mystery crime aspect. I literally got chills all over the movie. That's what's great about this movie, it was exciting and it made me nervous. The whole movie is like one giant episode of CSI/NCIS/other crime shows and I liked it. I am a huge fan of mystery solving, crime investigating that I actually enjoyed myself figuring out the whole thing. It doesn't hurt that the way Pegg and Wright wrote the script was very smart. It was fun to see it all unfold right before you. Some parts were very predictable, but it didn't take the fun away from it.

I really found this movie an excellent one. Probably just became my favorite Simon Pegg movie. I found out they're making a new one, with the London trinity still intact. I just have this feeling that it will even be better. I think it's because with the two movies they had, they made sure to prove that they do create quality movies, movies that people will enjoy watching and spend money on. I can attest to the level of entertainment they produce. I would really highly recommend Hot Fuzz and Also Shaun of the Dead. But as I;ve said, Hot Fuzz was even better for me. It was just one superb film.

I really hope anyone who reads this can see the film as well. Tell me what you thought cause I can talk about this one for hours. I hope i didn't oversell it either, but I really doubt anyone will be disappointed by it. I surely wasn't and hopefully others won't be as well. 

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment