November 26, 2012

Ice Age

Ice Age is probably one of the most successful franchises in the movie industry, with each sequel impressing the box-office more than the last. In fact, the latest Ice Age movie, released just a few months ago, is one of the top grossing animated movies. That says a lot considering the number of animated movies released in recent movie history, with most having an impressive run.

The original Ice Age movie was released 10 years ago in 2002 and was directed by Chris Wedge. It starred Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Denis Leary, and Goran Višnjić, Jack Black, and Diedrich Bader. Romano, Leguizamo and Leary would then be the main stays of the franchise appearing in all four movies. The film received praises, even being nominated in American Film Institute's Top 10 animated movies. To top that, it was also a huge commerical success, raking in hundreds of millions of dollars. Not a bad start for a franchise. Actually, who would have thought that their profit will only get better and better?

I actually wasn't a very big fan of this first movie. I honestly think that the movies after this one would all be amazing, but I'm not too convinced by this one. I liked the latter part much more than the first part. The sad this was, I only genuinely liked the last 20-30 minutes of the movie (excluding the credits). That part was great and it showed the climactic pat of the movie. Made me sit at the edge of my seat. But that was about it for me in terms of being invested in the movie. Maybe a second go at it would make me feel different. Hopefully. 

The first part was a little boring for me. If you're an avid reader of this blog, you'd know that I am easily pleased by movies. I enjoy watching almost all of the movies I see. You'd also know how excited I get about animated movies, or any kids' movies. I did enjoy Ice Age, just not at the same level I usually enjoy movies. I'm not saying it's a terrible movie, as it's not. But it's not getting me jumping up and down with excitement either. 

The thing I liked about the first part was the trio: Romano, Leary and Leguizamo. I thought the three made the first part of the movie still enjoyable. Ray Romano is really good at voicing Manny. He was able to trigger different feelings such as angst, sensitivity, and sadness. He also was able to depict joy with the sole use of his voice. That was really impressive. Denis Leary was quite as amazing being able to stay incharacter of an evil-turned-good-hearted sabertooth. My favorite, however, was John Leguizamo as Sid. The character of Sid was the funniest, most enjoyable one to watch, much thanks to Leguizamo's performance.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment