November 23, 2012

The Transporter

It's an old film but this was the first time I saw the movie. It was released in 2002, a little over 10 years ago. The film was directed by Corey Yuen, with the screenplay by Luc Besson, also known for his work in Taken, and Robert Mark Kamen. Luc Besson is becoming one of my favorite writers! He's been involved in a lot of movies, and from the ones I've seen, I've enjoyed his work everytime. He has a gifted mind, and I'm glad he's sharing it to the world of entertainment. The film starred Jason Statham, Shu Qi, Francois Berleand,  Matt Schulze, and Ric Young. The box-office numbers for the movie might not have been as impressive as box-office hits but it was successful enough to spawn two more Transporter movies, each one more successful than the last.

I have to say that Jason Statham became my most favorite action superstar. First, he's  very authentic when he does his movies, always believable and never labored. Second, according to some site I read before, can't remember which, he does his own stunts. Which leads me to the third reason, he can take on challenging and intricate choreography which adds volume and value to the stunts he does. I've seen a lot of his movies, not his entire filmography, but still, I've seen enough to see his artistry and his passion for such films. I'm also surprised I never thought of seeing this movie before since I've known it for so long but just never came around watching it.

The transporter's plot is actually very simple if you think about it. It's about a man who does transporting for a living. However there are various elements to this. One of them, which also happened to be my most favorite component, was how thorough the transporters was. Before sealing the deal, he made sure to know the size of the package, the weight, the dimensions, everything. From there he could calculate and strategize in the event something goes wrong. Another one was how there were rules in his transaction. It was very interesting how it played out in the story, and the entire movie.

I mostly enjoyed the choreography of the action scenes in this movie. It was very precise which added more danger. Sure there were some scenes where it could have been smoother but for the most part I liked it. There were different scenarios, and weapons employed to add variety to the scenes. I also very much enjoyed the initial car scene of the movie. It was very well executed and impressive. I thought the details, and what the camera captured showcased the thoughtfulness of the filmmakers. They managed to get scenes both in the exterior and the interior, capturing facial expressions, without forgetting the essence of the car scenes.

To be honest, I found this movie, for the most part, polished. I thought the movie's storyline, though simple, was coherent and concise. It worked out every detail from where the characters would go to, to their background. It added spice in that the characters' background stayed relevant to the story. In terms of execution, it was almost flawless! I loved how the cameras were positioned, and the pictures it took. It was very tactical and very smart. Again, showcasing the filmmakers' ability to create such a dynamic movie.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment