November 25, 2012

Shaun of the Dead

With people actually planning their strategy for a zombie apocalypse, I present you the most "realistic" film, in my opinion (to be explained later) about a zombie attack. Shaun of the Dead was a 2004 British film about a zombie apocalypse in London, It was directed by Edgar Wright, who also wrote the screenplay with Simon Pegg, who also happened to be the star of the movie. Starring alongside Pegg were Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis, Dylan Moran, and Penelope Wilton. The film was highly praised on critics' sites and did well in the box office as well.

I said that this was the most realistic one because it had a wider range of events, events that actually would happen in the remote possibility of a zombie attack. It wasn't all about taking own the zombies, it was more of the emotional side of it, I guess. It was about surviving, but also about saving your loved ones. It was about the sad and harsh reality of the high chance of losing someone important. I guess that element of the movie made me think that it's a very realistic movie about something highly unrealistic. Although, as some would say, we can really never know if a zombie apocalypse can indeed happen.

From the above statements, one might think that this movie was a drama film in a zombie setting. Let me set the record straight though. It's not. This movie was a comedy film, which did have a few solemn, heart breaking moments. But it's a comedy alright, and one I greatly enjoyed. I found myself laughing out loud because some of the scenes were just too hilarious. The tandem of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost was just incredible. The duo was bloody entertaining, as the British would say. I guess it helped that Pegg, who I think is one of the funniest people, and Wright made a script that could generate some laughter from its audience. It was a very smart script, and obviously a lot of people thought so too.

I'll be honest at first, I wasn't too sure what the buzz about the movie was. I knew it was embraced by a lot of people for being such a spectacular movie. It didn't look that way to me at first and I was already to be disappointed. Then without even realizing it, I was suddenly laughing, being engaged in the movie. Don;t get me wrong, the first part of the film was not boring. It actually laid down the main story of the film. At the same time, maybe I just wanted something a bit more. It did get better and better as the movie went on.

Aside from it being comedic, it was also a real zombie flick, and they didn't hold back on the movie's images. I was actually a little surprised by how gory the film became especially in the latter part of it. Then again, it would have not had the same appeal and value if it didn't do that. It maintained itself as a zombie movie so it only made sense for it to get a little violent, and a little bloody. There might have been an opening of the human body as well. But nothing too disgusting either. Just the right amount, I thought.

Shaun of the Dead was a really entertaining movie. I think the zombie lovers would love this one. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were just amazing in this movie. Nothing I could say but positive things. It made me want to watch all the other Pegg-Frost movies as I have a feeling I'll be in for a treat. All the other cast members also offered great support in the movie, and stood  out on their own scenes. I'm glad they all had substantial airtime to really showcase themselves; and that's exactly what they did.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment