July 07, 2012

Hairspray

I have no idea about the background of this movie. I didn't even watch in the theaters and didn't really intend to watch it. However, a few months later, I found the DVD and decided to check it out, out of pure curiosity. The next thing I know, I'm trying to learn the songs in the movie, well at least some of them. It was groovy and very entertaining. The music was good, the dancing was good, the actors were good. Everything about it was good. I enjoyed it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Hairspray was a 2007 musical starring a stellar cast that included John Travolta, Nikki Blonsky, Amanda Bynes, Zac Efron, Brittany Snow, Christopher Walken, Michelle Pfeiffer, James Marsden, Queen Latifah, Elijah Kelley and Taylor Parks. It was directed by Adam Shankman, also one of the producers of the movie. It proved to be a massive hit in the box office earning more than 202 million dollars worldwide. It also received positive reviews from critics. This review would be no different.

I'd like to start with the direction of the movie and say that it was awesome! It was exquisite and excellent. I also liked the screenplay, from the plot to the actual writing of the script. It made the message clear, but it was also fun. It always had the balance of the seriousness of a social commentary movie and the entertainment value. I think it's because of this balance that the movie became effective. Plus, Adam Shankman really took his already amazing screenplay and transformed it into a fun-filled, powerful movie.

It was really funny to see John Travolta in that role. I doubted myself if Tracy's mother was really being played by John Travolta (I really had little idea about the move. While I knew the cast, I didn't know the roles they were playing.) But it was a good funny. It brought the entertainment value way up there. Amanda Bynes also had the perfect timing and delivery for her funny lines. James Marsden was the biggest surprise here, at least for me. I didn't know Cyclops can sing and dance.

I was the most impressed by the cast. There were some that I already knew but I was still surprised to see them dancing and singing like Amanda Bynes and James Marsden. Others I wasn't really familiar with like Elijah Kelly and Taylor Parks, and even Nikki Blonsky. But I was also impressed by them, very talented, dynamic actors and actresses. Every single member of the cast was awesome! Even the council members, which is a shame cause they weren't featured too much, especially Curtis Holbrook and Spencer Liff (I was actually surprised to find out that they were part of the movie. I got to know them in other movies/shows before I found out that they were in the movie.) I would also like to mention that tWitch was also a dancer for the movie. If you don't know tWitch, find him on Youtube and you will know how insanely talented he is.

The songs were really good too. I don't know if all the songs were from the broadway show or if they wrote new ones, dropped some of the others or what. My favorite was probably Run and Tell that performed by Elijah Kelley. All the songs were catchy, but this one stood out. Also the choreography of the movie was sick. The dancers made it look easy, but we all know it's hard to dance a routine like that.

The movie was good as a whole, and dividing it to smaller bits highlights/emphasizes the greatness of it. Adam Shankman was really awesome for doing such a movie. It was also a bit historic, and very inspiring. Backed with a well-written screenplay, a marvelous direction, and a talented cast, this movie could do no wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment