July 15, 2012

Larry Crowne

I wasn't going to include this one but since it's a a real Tom Hanks movie, I thought Tom Hanks week could not be completed with this. I refer to this as a real Tom Hanks movie because not only did he star in it, he also wrote, produced, and directed this movie. That's the whole Tom Hanks soul right there. It's like Citizen Kane where Orson Welles did the same things in a single movie. It's probably good to include this one. I also thought this would be a good conclusion to Tom Hanks week since this movie really is Tom Hanks at his own element.

Larry Crowne was a 2011 comedy movie, as mentioned above, written, directed, produced by Tom Hanks himself, with help from a few other people. It starred himself, and Julia Roberts as his love interest. The cast also featured Cedric the Entertainer, Taraji Henson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Wilmer Valderrama, Bryan Cranston, Pam Grier, Rami Malek, Maria Canals Barrera, and many more including Tom Hanks' wife, Rita Wilson. It did not get the best reviews, but had a decent box-office performance.

I'm not gonna lie. This wasn't the best Tom Hanks movie, but it's definitely far from a disaster. While I've liked some of his movies more, I also could not agree with the people saying it was a bad movie. It wasn't, I assure you. I thought the problem might have been that a lot of things were happening and the movie was just over 90 minutes. Maybe the development of the premise should have been given a little more time as to not look convoluted. There were a lot of layers to the movie's plot and not all elements were stretched out to its potential. That's what I thought and that's probably a reason why some people didn't like it.

As for me, I still liked it. It was a decent movie and was a lot of fun. The movie had a lot of quirks as well that gave opportunities to me as a viewer to appreciate it. I had a few laughs, and at the end of it, I was feeling pretty good. That's a huge thing for me as someone who watches a lot of movies. I want to feel satisfied and joyous after watching something, especially if that's the goal of the movie. The movie succeeded in that aspect for me.

It also did have a good soundtrack. The songs played were catchy and lively, and I think that helped in the movie. Another good thing was the ensemble. It has Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts in it! But the supporting cast was just as good. I also liked the transformation the characters had throughout the movie. As I've mentioned a while ago, the movie could have developed some of its elements more. However, what I didn't mention before was how the story line managed to develop each character.

There are a lot of reasons to like this movie; much more than the reasons not to like it. I guess this is a hit or miss movie, either you'll like it or you won't. We can discuss things about it, ad that's one sign that the movie did its job - when people can discuss and express different opinions about it. That has to count for something.

For all the Tom Hanks related posts check out these links:
Big http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/07/big.html
Turner & Hooch http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/07/turner-and-hooch.html
Toy Story http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/07/toy-story.html
Forrest Gump http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/07/forrest-gump.html
Saving Private Ryan http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/07/saving-private-ryan.html
Cast Away http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/05/cast-away.html
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/05/extremely-loud-and-incredibly-close-is.html

No comments:

Post a Comment