July 15, 2012

Inception

I've always considered Inception as one of the most intellectual, visually creative movies ever created. I remember watching it for the first time and being extremely impressed with just about everything about the movie. First of all the idea was very unique and intriguing: a dream within a dream within a dream and so on. It's quite a simple idea if you think about it since everyone has dreams. However the way they challenged the simplicity of a dream defied logic and rationality, and that in itself is a sign of brilliance.

The way they transformed this rather simple idea into a feature film is even more amazing. The plot was rich and every layer of the dream had a different way of telling the story. The attack that they had was really present and really felt. There's a simple plot to it - get the job done. Then they made a spider web from this simple plot to branch out to different possibilities that will make the movie exciting and even more intriguing. There was an element of a broken relationship between the protagonist and his wife, one that constantly posed a problem for their mission. There's the factor of totems to distinguish what's a dream from a reality. There's also that fact of creating multiple layers of dreams, and the ways one could snap out of it.

We haven't even gotten to the visual effects the movie employed. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I'm a visual person so a movie with that amount of incredible visuals was perfect for me. From the way the water flowed to the way the locations were built or to the scenery they chose to shoot in, it was visually orgasmic, if there ever was such a thing. That's one of the best parts of the movie for me, to see how they used the sets and how they used special effects. The funny thing is, I read on the internet that my favorite scene, the one where everyone was floating around getting to the elevator, was not created with CGI. My mind was blown away when I read that. That showed me the level of intricacy the director and the crew had to create this masterpiece.

It was a very, very good experience, and still as exciting as the first time around when I saw it again a while ago. It reminded me of every single reasons why I wanted to watch this movie again. It's a movie that makes me want to jump and run along with the flow of the events. I know that sounded weird but I didn't mean that literally. I'm sure you got what I meant. But it's just the bottled up intensity that brought the movie to an extraordinary level.

I also thought this was one of the best ensembles assembled for a movie. While I generally like all of the cast members of the movies I watch, this particular group was exceptional and downright phenomenal. Leonardo DiCaprio has the talent to capture weird and quirky personalities, just like in Shutter Island. He's probably the king of mindf*ck movies. (sorry for the expletive word). But aside from him there were three other people that made left me in awe. Those three were Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, and Tom Hardy. Special mention as well to Ken Watanabe. But as I've said, every single one here was really just talented and brought something to the table.

Inception has become one of my favorite movies of all time mostly because it was intellectually stimulating and also visually satisfying. It had a rich story and plot line, and the direction of the movie was flawless. Each scene was flawless! Christopher Nolan is a walking legend. With his work in the Batman series, whose last installment, The Dark Knight Rises, being released in a few days, he has really set his mark as an asset to the film industry. With Inception, which he not only directed, but also wrote and produced, he has sealed himself as Hollywood gold, and someone very valuable in the industry. I know I;m in no position to claim these things, but that's honestly how I see it and how I see him.

You can follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment