July 06, 2012

Kill Bill (Vol. 1)

The first volume of Kill Bill was released in 2003, and the second one was released a year later, in 2004. Both movies were directed by Quentin Tarantino, and starred Uma Thurman as The Bride. It also featured Lucy Liu, Vivica A. Fox, Michael Madsen, Daryl Hannah, David Carradine, Julie Dreyfus, Sonny Chiba and more. Some other members of the cast only appeared in one volume. 

There were two reasons why I decided to watch this movie again. First, I've always liked Kill Bill. Second, after being extremely disappointed by Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/07/ballistic-ecks-vs-sever.html I thought it would be good to watch another Lucy Liu movie. To expound in the first reason, I remember watching it the first time, watching the first few minute and thinking it was really good, but pretty ordinary. Then as the film progressed, I just kept being impressed by it. It was really a cool movie, and as a kid, I was truly fascinated by it. After watching it, I wanted to watch it again, and I did after some time. It was that good that I just wanted to watch it over and over again. 

Watching it again, as a more mature person, hopefully, I liked it even more. Maybe I'm more able to recognize the techniques, the style, the artistry of it that I have an even greater appreciation of the movie. Also, I found it amusing that I also recognized the Tarantino film making style. It had similarities to Pulp Fiction, where the movie did not narrate the story in a chronological order. It was one of my favorite things about Pulp Fiction, and I also enjoyed that aspect of Kill Bill. I also liked how different styles and executions were present in the movie. I particularly liked the one with the animation since it was like a real Japanese anime. 

What is with Tarantino and extremely violent, gory movies? But you know what? Don't answer that. I don't want to spoil myself. All I know is that Tarantino has an artistic vision always. His movies, although some are violent, are always tasteful. At least that's how I see it. I really enjoyed the fight sequences of the movie. It was like a Chinese Kung Fu movie plus a Japanese Samurai movie plus a little bit of the Western gun shooting. It was just awesome to see all these things be combined in a 90 minute movie. 

This movie again showcased the genius that Quentin Tarantino is. The movie demanded attention because it was capable enough to impress and hold the attention. It was action-filled, had a very good story, and a brilliant director. This movie is the perfect example of thinking outside the box and creating magic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment