July 14, 2012

Turner and Hooch

I decided I'll just make this a short one since this is still part of the Tom Hanks week.

Turner and Hooch was a 1989 comedy movie starring Tom Hanks, Mare Winningham, Craig T Nelson, and Reginald VelJohnson. It was directed by Roger Spottiswoode and written by a number of writers. It had a modest income, but I guess during that time, it's already considered a good one. Factor in inflation and other factors, that amount of money had a lot more value.

The movie was more of a situational comedy than a witty script funny. While it still employed various ways of comedy, like sarcasm, it stuck with situational comedy for the most part of it. And to be honest, I still liked it. I thought this kind of comedy wouldn't work, especially since Tom Hanks is not exactly known for being a comedy star. However, the interaction of Hanks' character and Hooch, the dog, still created fireworks.

It's one of those light feel-good movies. It had one very serious moment and I would not spoil the movie for you. But it had one heavy moment that made me forget it's supposed to be a funny movie. Other than that, the movie provided a variety of hilarious moments. Similar to Marley and Me and other movies that get animals as part of the cast, I'm impressed at how they actually trained these dog actors to be right where they needed to be, do what they needed to do and be a natural in front of the camera. If anyone of you knows how they do this please let me know.

But yeah, definitely a good choice of movie tonight. It's also good since this is a comedy movie, different from the other Tom Hanks movies. It's nice to see another side of the incredible actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment