May 17, 2012

The Assasination of Jesse James

The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was a 2007 film that got multiple recognitions from different award giving bodies, taking home some of them. It made several top ten lists, but was a box-office flop, according to Box Office Mojo. In a way I understand why. It's not a film that would really appeal to anyone. It's not something everyone would want to see or might be interested in. After all it's about an outlaw/robber - actually, it's about the death of an outlaw/robber. However, I believe this movie could have done a lot better and could have been a lot stronger. They had a brilliant cast, a good script, a fantastic setting, and I thought it had everything going for them.

I liked the film for that reason. I haven't seen much of Western cowboy movies, but I liked this one. It went slowly but was not boring. It revolved around several characters but was not confusing. It also had action and drama, with a bit of humor thanks to Bob Ford's (Affleck's character) fanboying over Jesse James (Pitt). It really was funny seeing Ford's eyes sparkle in the presence of Jesse James, and I have to give credit to Affleck for doing it exceptionally. I thought that in itself was a good reason to appreciate the movie. However, aside from that, the film also offered a variety of things. It's like an inside look to the life of the outlaws. It showcased different characteristics. I especially liked the paranoia(?) Jesse James was experiencing.

It was surprising and equally amusing when I saw the actors in the movie. I knew it starred Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck but I was surprised to see the other actors. For starters Jeremy Renner was in the movie, and I might have forgotten he did this because I had to go to the movie's Wikipedia page to make sure it was him. I was also glad to see Garret Dillahunt in it. I just realized he'd been on several movies that I saw and there's not a single one of them where he didn't deliver. The biggest surprise, however, was Zooey Deschanel. Seeing her in this movie was a little odd, it seemed so out of place only because I've never seen her in such a role/movie before. Of the films I've seen where Deschanel was a part of, she always had an upbeat energy, a calm and collected persona and the woman you cheer for. Deschanel does sweet and cute perfectly, but seeing her in this film made me see her in a different light; and that is a very good thing. Don't get me wrong, she was still cute and actually a little sexy, but she had a different feel to her in this movie in those few minutes she was shown.

I'm also glad this film provided Affleck the opportunity to be his own self, to be his own star if you'd like to put it that way. I felt like this movie allowed Casey Affleck to prove that he also have what it takes to make his mark on the film industry, just like his brother, Ben. I can tell you know that Casey Affleck was nothing but spectacular in this movie. He really did it. He was next to Brad Pitt, a huge star, but he made sure people would still notice him. Brad Pitt was amazing as usual. He is a great actor, and I think nobody doubts that. He has all those awards to prove just how talented he is at what he does, and his performance in this movie was no exception.

I'm a little disappointed it didn't do as well as I felt it should have. The movie was very interesting to say the least, well at least in my opinion. Although the pace of the scenes were a bit slow, it managed to hold my attention and I didn't get bored. I think I actually liked it a lot more than I expected. It was thrilling and exciting and I had a good time watching it. I guess anyone who's into cowboys, gangs, robbery type of movies will like it. The partnership of Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck must be a very good reason to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment