May 28, 2012

Horrible Bosses

This is one astoundingly hilarious movie. I did expect it to be funny mainly because it did well in the box office, earning more than 200 million dollars. That's not a bad figure at all. However, aside from that, I also considered the stars of the movie. You got the former star of FRIENDS, Jennifer Aniston, SNL star Jason Sudeikis, star of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Charlie Day, who got a ton of recognition for his performance on the film, and Jason Bateman who starred in several recent movies. Add Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrel, and Jamie Foxx to the mix and we're just about ready for trouble.

Trouble is exactly what the film produced. It started by introducing just who these horrible bosses were. One was a self-indulgent, paranoid freak. One was a whore-ible sex maniac. The other one was a cokehead who didn't care for the business. Each of the characters had a unique personality and individuality. I totally enjoyed how they toyed with the ideas of having difficult bosses, and I appreciated the fact they each "horrible boss" was different from the others. I guess that's their way of showing the wide possibilities when it comes to having a boss. However, though the matter was pretty serious, it was still a lot of fun to watch their"suffering" under these characters.

I was also amused with the idea that they made references to "Strangers on a Train," a 1952 film that I absolutely enjoyed. As a huge fan of the movie Strangers on a Train, I was delighted to see that there was an allusion to the great thriller. The whole concept of it was interesting and exciting, and they employed it in a comical manner, and I found that hilarious.

I also liked the twists and turns of the movies: will they kill their bosses or not? Who will kill which boss? The answer is a little predictable but still enjoyable. Predictable because they already set it up for viewers to guess what was about to happen. However the development and manner they did it was funny and still effective.

According to Wikipedia, which I know isn't always reliable, there will be a sequel to this film. I'm not sure how they're going to do that considering they already solved their problems, sort of. I think I can see one part of the story, one involving Bateman's character. As for the other 2 employees, I don't know what they're going to do to exploit these characters. I would definitely want to see it though.

Follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. You can also follow this blog by checking the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment