May 16, 2012

How To Lose Friends and Alienate People

How to Lose Friends and Alienate people is a book written by Toby Young in 2001. It was transformed into a movie in 2008 starring Simon Pegg, Kirsten Dunst, Megan Fox, Danny Huston and Jeff Bridges. I am familiar with the book since I've seen it in bookstores. I've read the back of the book so I had an idea what it was going to be about.

The story of the film mainly focuses on a guy who moved to New York after he got hired by one of the more elite magazines. He then struggles to get a story in the magazine, wanting to see his work published. Eventually he got in to the famous circle, but felt conflicted. There's also a little romance going on the side. If I remember correctly, the book tackled a lot more, re-telling the tales of the adventure of Toby Young. Since this is a movie adaptation, of course scenes had to be chosen.

What I saw was far from the expectations I might have had. I don't know what expectations I had, but I'm sure this was not it. Seeing the book, I had the impression that it would be similar to I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell (http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-hope-they-serve-beer-in-hell.html) - that it would be an all out insane movie. The impression I got from the back of the book was that the main character would be a lot more adventurous that what I saw.

I absolutely enjoyed Simon Pegg and Kirsten Dunst. I was actually shocked when I found out Kirsten Dunst was the female lead here because I haven't seen her in a while. I didn't know she did this. Simon Pegg was entertaining as usual. He really is funny from the way he speaks, the way he acts, the facial expressions. He's really good at providing some fresh laughs. I would know, I follow him on twitter and some of his tweets there are some of the funniest ones on twitter. Jeff Bridges was also great. Megan Fox not as much, but she was ok. She was good in Transformers though. (Unfortunately, those are the only movies I've seen of her)

The movie had several funny scenes. I think my expectations might have hurt me because I had an image of me laughing hard or something, and I didn't. I think if I didn't have those expectations I might have liked it a lot more. It wasn't bad at all; it's just a little underwhelming for me. It was definitely a fun movie to see, but like I said, I expected more. However, all in all, I was still entertained by it, and I had a good time watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment