May 31, 2012

Pulp Fiction

The year 1994 brought three of the supposedly greatest films of all time - that's according to the American Film Institute's list of 100 best films released a few years ago. These movies were: Forrest Gump with Tom Hanks, The Shawshank Redemption with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, and Pulp Fiction with a star-studded cast including John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis, Christopher Walken, Tim Roth, and a whole lot more. In reality The Shawshank Redemption didn't make the first version of the list. However, after celebrating its tenth year anniversary, the list was edited and The Shawshank Redemption entered the list, outranking the other two.

I personally thought The Shawshank Redemption was the best among the three, but I absolutely agree that all three were deserving. I had the chance to finally watch Pulp Fiction. I've heard a lot of things about it, and a friend of mine recommended it to me a while back. However, I couldn't find the movie then. If i'll be completely honest, Pulp Fiction was probably my least favorite among these three 1994 movies, and I am not trying to take anything away. Let me say this now, Pulp Fiction is a great movie. The story was great, the way they developed it was brilliant, the actors all gave it their all I felt. There was nothing to complain about. But yeah, I probably just prefer the other two.

Pulp Fiction was definitely the funniest among the three, although its humor was geared towards a darker side, a more violent one. After all , it is a gangster movie where bloodshed was a normal occurrence. It wasn't gory or disgusting, at least most it wasn't. However, they kept the mood light with the use of humor. I think I'll consider Pulp Fiction to be the most creative as well, utilizing nonlinear narrations for the movie. I greatly enjoyed that aspect of the movie. I liked the intertwining stories plus the back stories of the characters. I don't know about you but that was one of the best things in the movie for me. It was a very smart and sleek move.

Of all the gangster movies I've seen, this is the most entertaining one. It had its own brand of wits and had smooth transitions. It was extremely light considering the premise and the storylines. It was enjoyable and a lot of fun to watch. It's even better to see all those faces in one spectacular movie. Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, John Travolta, and Uma Thurman were definitely the standouts. But even the other actors were just amazing it's impossible to not notice them. Whoever was in-charged of the casting made the right calls.

Quentin Tarantino is a genius and he constantly exudes brilliance with the works he produces. Watching his creations is like a privilege because I know how much thought and work went into it. The results are always admirable, and I can never find any faults in his works. He definitely is one of the industry's best, and I look forward to seeing his other movies.

I'm really glad I finally saw the movie. That's one big chunk in my bucket list if I ever had one. I;ve been wanting to see it, and now I'm done. It felt like accomplishing something to watch the big three of 1994 (although I'm not sure if other people consider these three the big three as well). Regardless of that these three films are must-sees. All of them were fantastic. I actually hope I was a little older (no, a lot older) in 1994 to see all these three on the big screen.

Follow me on twitter @sirfilmreviewer or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com. Or you can follow my blog by checking out the right side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment