May 02, 2012

Thor

Thor was definitely something. I didn't know what to expect mostly because he's the least known superhero in my world. I'm well aware of Thor as a god in mythology but not as a superhero. Although I've known there was such a character, I never knew about who really was, his character, his background, his story. I didn't even know his weapon was a hammer. I guess that sums up my ignorance towards the character.

Having confessed all that, I actually found the film quite enjoyable. At the beginning of the film, I was already starting to form my judgment, and I initially thought that I wouldn't like Thor's character. By the end of the film I was ok with him. I liked him  lot more in the Avengers movie though (Avengers movie review here: http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/04/avengers.html) I was glad to see his transformation though, from an arrogant, self-centered character, to a selfless one. It's a huge cliche if you think about it, but it worked so I won't complain.

I liked how this film started. It had this massive build-up, and just when I was getting into the scene, it cuts it. I don't know if it qualifies as in medias res, given that the major story line started after this initial scene, but there was an attempt to utilize this technique. It was different, which made it interesting. I liked how it got back to how Thor was sent to earth, which was new to me, and how he met Jane, the character of Natalie Portman.

Kat Dennings' Darcy was my favorite character in the whole movie. I was very tempted to say Jane just because Natalie Portman plays the character, but Darcy just took the cake with her comic lines. Of course we all know she stars in 2 Broke Girls now, and we are aware of her comedy skills. But I chuckled in almost everything she said in this movie. I especially liked her relationship with the taser. I was also glad to see Agent Coulson much more screen time in this movie than he did in Iron Man. Although he wasn't exactly the good guy here, it was still nice to see Clark Gregg rock out the character of Coulson. Of course, the stars of the film - Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, and Tom Hiddleston- were all amazing in this. I just have to say that Tom Hiddleston did Loki so well in both Thor and Avengers. He plays a villain very well.

All in all, I thought it was an enjoyable film. It didn't have a big climactic fight scene, relative to the other Marvel films. It had a lot of action scenes, with the last one revolving to the end of the relationship of Thor and Jane. (I liked that scene, if I'll be completely honest. It's one of the best moment sin the film. It was real, and there was pain.) Thor did not defeat The Incredible Hulk as my favorite superhero film, but it was still pretty good. I also give it plus points for showing Jeremy Renner as Agent Barton.

No comments:

Post a Comment