June 09, 2012

The Bourne Ultimatum

Finally I found the time to write this review. Things have been hectic and I didn't want to rush this as I thought it would not be able to expound on somethings, or forget to include some things. Now I have the time to write it and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Remember how I said in my The Bourne Supremacy (http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/06/bourne-supremacy.html) review that the Bourne series just got better and better? Now I can tell you that The Bourne Ultimatum was my favorite among the three. It's the perfect way to end the heart-pounding series (although, obviosuly, Ultimatum was not he end since The Bourne Legacy will be released 2 months from now). However, I think when they made this movie, they were sure that it would be the end of the Jason Bourne story.

This movie had less gun fights, a little more hand combat, and a lot more beautifully shot chase scenes. My heart was beating fast during those scenes as they were also the most intense moments in the movie. It was filled with suspense

I thing my favorite thing about it was how intertwined the three movies are. Bourne quoted someone from The Bourne Identity, the ending of The Bourne Supremacy took place in the middle of the third installment, the beginning of the third movie overlapped with the plot of the second movie. I really liked how everything played out, and how the story maintained its coherence despite being divided into three novels/movies. It was amusing to see how the characters grew and developed, how the story strengthened itself to create magic.

I also liked how Julia Stiles' character progressively evolved throughout the series. I saw her character as just one of the supporting characters in the first one, a major supporting character in the second, and a major character in the third. Obviously, that was the plan, but it was still great to see the transformation. I also liked how her character had a back story in relation to Jason Bourne.

I haven't said this before, but I think part of what made the Bourne seires work is the fact that they had the perfect antagonists for Bourne. They also had the right actors to play the parts. I personally think that what made it work was the interaction between Bourne and these villains, the desire to take down the very people that got him into this mess. I think these villains don't get as much credit as they should so I'm saying now that they were all fantastic.

This post wraps up the Bourne series for now. I'll be back to Bourne mode once The Bourne Legacy is relased on August. Check out my previous two entries: The Bourne Identity http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/06/bourne-identity.html and The Bourne Supremacy http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/06/bourne-supremacy.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment