June 16, 2012

Good Will Hunting

"Real loss is only possible when you love something more than yourself" - Sean (Robin Williams)

Good Will Hunting was a drama film Starring Matt Damon, Robin Williams, Ben Affleck, Minnie Driver, Stellan Skarsgard, Cole Hauser, and Casey Affleck. I assume it was one of the biggest movies of 1997 considering the movie earned more than 225 million dollars on a budget of 10 million dollars, not even a tenth of what the movie earned. It was  also well-received by critics. If I was old enough back then, even I would pay up to see this movie. 

For me it was like a painting, a very good one at that. In a painting there are certain portions or characteristics that blows your mind, there are also some details you don't necessarily appreciate. However, taking a step back and looking at its entirety, you begin to fully realize the magic and beauty a painting possesses. That's what I thought about this movie. It had some really, really, mind-blowing sections, and some boring bits. The whole thing, however, is a work of art. 

It was not flawless, but it was damn close to perfection. It's fascinating to think that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck wrote this screenplay. They're already great actors, and apparently they are brilliant writers as well. The story revolved around a man who grew up experiencing traumatic experiences that had an impact on him. It followed his struggles with dealing with his past, and present. The story had many layers, from him being a good mathematician, to him being a manual laborer with a mind of a genius, to his own love story, to the story of the people helping him, to the story of his friends. All these layers were so distinct yet so well interwoven with one another. 

The movie received high praises, landing several of the actors nominations from different award giving bodies, including the Academy Awards. Robin Williams was meant for this role. It had some similarities to his character in Dead Poets Society, a movie I always look back to as one of the best films I've seen, and he nailed it here once again. Also, it was a bit weird seeing Matt Damon play this kind of character especially since I saw the Bourne trilogy a few days back. From an ass-kicking spy to a broken, vulnerable orphan, he just transforms himself for the roles. The supporting cast also convincing in their performances. Ben Affleck, Cole Hauser, and Casey Affleck as the gang were a lot of fun to watch. Stellan Skarsgard, whose most recent role was Dr. Selvig in The Avengers, was awesome in this! Really awesome! But Minnie Driver stole the show. It was just impossible not to be attracted to this English actress.  

Gus Van Sant didn't waste the material produced by Damon and Affleck. Even the music had the right level of drama, enough for it to be moving and appropriate for the progression of the story. The screenplay was amazing, and Damon and Affleck have an Academy Award for Best Screenplay to prove it. But it really was. I have to admit that I was about to lose my interest around halfway to the movie, but things picked up, and it really picked up. 

I don't think I have enough words to convey what the movie made me feel and think. I do not want to oversell it, but at the same time I want to do my best to give whoever can read this an idea of what the movie was all about. I'm still deciding whteher this is one of those movies that falls into the the you-either-like-it-or-you-don't category. I don;t think it is, but I can't be too sure. Personally, I really liked it as a whole story, and as a movie. I suggest you go ahead and see it, and tell me how you found it. If you do, tweet me @sirfilmreviewer, or email me at mrfilmreviewer@yahoo.com your thoughts or opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment