June 18, 2012

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Crazy, Stupid Love, was a 2011 comedy, romantic movie that featured a stellar cast including Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon, Analeigh Tipton, Jonah Bobo. Liza Lapira and Josh Groban were also present in the movie. It was directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, and was written by Dan Fogelman. It went on to be a highly successful movie, earning a huge revenue in the box office.

I am a huge Steve Carell supporter and the moment I found out about this movie, I immediately thought I'd see it. I didn't. It was probably because the movie seemed like a romance movie to me than a comedy, and I suddenly was not too sure. I was right, it was a bit too romance-y for me, but it was still funny as hell. The title says, Crazy, Stupid, Love, but they should put more emphasis on crazy. Crazy good, thought, and not crazy bad.

The movie had a lot of pairs. Steve Carell and Julianne Moore, Steve Carell and Marisa Tomei (sort of), Julianne Moore and Kevin Bacon, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. However, my favorite was Analeigh Tipton and Jonah Bobo. The pair was really awkward that it became really funny to see how their characters interacted. I laughed so hard when the kid told Jessica (Tipton) about his activities while thinking about her. I even laughed harder when I saw her disgusted look. Despite having a famous cast, these two newcomers were noticeable and were right where the stars were. Well, I'm not sure Bobo if still a newcomer, but I think this was his big break so I'll just leave it at that.

Seeing Josh Groban in this movie was really weird, and I never would have thought he'd be doing movies. But it's a great thing. Liza Lapira was another exciting person to see in this movie. I've been a fan of hers ever since her stint in NCIS as Michelle Lee. I've seen every single episode of that show and her last episode in the show is still one of those that I distinctly remember. It was refreshing to see her in a move light, funny role. You can catch her in Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 now.

The story was very simple. It was about a family on the verge of being broken because the man;s wife wanted a divorce. There's the layer of cheating, of not being satisfied in the relationship, dealing with all the emotions. I know it was a serious matter, but the way they did it was really hilarious (especially the Twilight line) that I could not help but laugh at it. As we all know, that's the goal of the movie: to make the viewers laugh. It is a comedy movie after all. Dan Fogelman did amazing in this movie, with those lines, and the development in general.

It wasn't my favorite Steve Carell movie, but it was still a really good Steve Carrell movie. Date Night still takes the cake as my favorite Carell movie, which I don't think is a very popular opinion. Crazy, Stupid, Love still had the Carell effect on it, which is always funny to see. He really is one of the best actors to see when it comes to comedy. However, I'm a little disappointed at how little Emma Stone had to work with in this movie. She is one funny gal and it was underutilized in the movie, She had little exposure and even less lines. She did great with what she had, but I was hoping she'd have a little more. Luckily, it featured Analeigh Tipton and Jonah Bobo enough to allow me to see the hilarity of their relationship, or the lack there of.

Overall, I had a lot of fun watching it. I liked the humor, I liked the progression of the story and the development of the characters. It was a think story with a lot of points for discussion, or probably just appreciation. It was funny and it didn't fail to deliver what it promised to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment