June 13, 2012

Zombieland

I first saw this movie a couple of years ago with a few friends. I wasn't all that impressed by it then but that's probably because I was not really paying much attention to it. I;m pretty sure I was just eating and talking to my friends when we were watching the movie. Watching it for the second time, I still can't say I'm all that impressed by the movie, but I definitely liked it more the second time around. 

Zombieland was released in 2009 and starred Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin. Bill Murray and Mike White also appeared in this movie. It was written by Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese and was directed by Ruben Fleischer. It garnered positive reviews and went on to be a commercially successful movie. A lot of people actually loved it. It's just funny because I never would have thought that Emma Stone was also in this movie. I saw this movie long before Emma Stone shot up to fame so it was just funny to think about it. 

At first I didn't understand why it was categorized as a comedy movie. However, halfway through the movie I finally understood why. With the appearance of Bill Murray, things got out of hand, and it became really funny. Some of the things they did were actually quite insane which is the reason why it's downright hilarious. It's a parody of how people would react, how people would respond to zombies chasing them, and it's an entertaining one at that.

It's a mockumentary more than anything and a comedic take on the possibility of an apocalypse. It's also a how-to guide to survive a zombie apocalypse with Columbus' rules. The rules were pretty sensible actually, and I could picture myself following his set of rules if I find myself running away from human eating creatures. I also found some of the references amusing. But I think Bill Murray's appearance took the cake as the highlight of the movie. 

The last 20 or so minutes were my favorite part(aside from the Bill Murray part). If zombie killing would be that much fun, I'd probably give it a try. But really, the last sequence of the movie were filled with a lot of zombie killing, and hardcore action. I really enjoyed watching it play out, especially since the location of the scene provided the movie with more opportunities to experiment. Woody Harrelson as Tallahassee was my favorite character in the movie. He's a bit on the psycho side, but the good psycho. He's very efficient in his gun use and he's someone you want to be with in a zombie apocalypse. He's your ticket to survival. 

Overall, it was a good movie, one of the better zombie movies mostly because of its entertainment value. As mentioned, it was a parody and a mockumentary, although they did give valid guidelines on how to survive. They could be useful, just in case. It was a fun movie to watch, had great actors in it, and it was filled with zombies. What more can you ask for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment