June 09, 2012

The Italian Job

I love a great heist movie. The only thing I love more is a great heist movie with vengeance. That's how The Italian Job went down. It started with a heist, and ended with another one, both being equally crafty. What I appreciate about heist movies are how the craft itself comes into play. I'm not saying I approve of people stealing, but in terms of movies and entertainment, I like seeing and witnessing how much thought was involved.

The Italian Job was a 2003 movie starring Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Edward Norton, Jason Statham, Mos Def, and Seth Green, with a special participation of Donald Sutherland. I'll tell you ow that I can't separate Donald Sutherland from President Snow of The Hunger Games now. The movie was directed by F. Gary Gray. It was well-received by critics and movie-goers. I guess the craftsmanship raked in the audience.

I liked the idea behind it, stealing without using guns or any weaponry, while aside from a few explosives. Just flat out stealing by only utilizing one's intelligence. It's smart and more deceiving that way. However, for the most part, the characters relied on their own skills and abilities to pull the robbery. Each one had a specific role and it all played well. Of course since this is fiction, all characters were created to complement each other, and each was given sufficient proficiency in whatever skill they got.

The vengeance part of it was a little bit downplayed, I think. But the movie made it clear, it was not about getting back what was stolen from them. It was more of doing it as honoring the man that brought them all together. The presence Ukrainian mob was a little too much if you ask me, but I guess it served as part of sealing the deal. The gang never had to get their hands dirty to extract vengeance, they got the money without guns, and they got rid off their enemy without guns. Well, the mob definitely has guns but they weren't part of the gang.

I just read that there have been plans to do a sequel, The Brazilian Job. I think that would be amazing if they had all the right materials and if the right people get involved. I would like to see the cast return to validate the continuation of the story. Upon reading it, I even had a few ideas how the movie could go. There are a lot of possibilities but I can;t be sure the sequel will push through given that it has been in development since 2004. It will be a shame if they don't push through with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment