June 24, 2012

Se7en

Se7en or Seven was a 1995 thriller movie starring Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, and an incredibly thin Kevin Spacey. It was directed by David Fincher, who also directed Fight Club (http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/05/fight-club.html) and Social Network (http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/06/social-network.html). I've seen three David Fincher films and have been impressed by all three. I'm not yet sure if I like Se7en more than Fight Club, but both films were fantastic. Andrew Kevin Walker wrote the screenplay for the movie, and I must say the screenplay blew my mind. It's been a while since I really got into a thriller movie, especially at this certain level.

I actually liked the concept of the movie: the seven deadly sins. It's basic knowledge to know the seven deadly sins, of course for the Christians. It's something we encounter always, and even refer to in everyday language. To transform this common religious teaching to a daunting, scary thriller movie, I think, is genius. It wasn't only about using the seven deadly sins in a movie, they used it as inspiration for 7 murders, taking away seven lives in the process. It's a very dark idea, but the execution of it made me look past the darkness and just be in awe of the production.

The movie became a mystery movie with the lead characters trying to piece together whatever they ca with the hope that something will eventually turn up. It was like an episode of Castle, only much darker. The detectives found themselves playing a game they never intended to participate in with a psycho-killer. That aspect of the movie was the most intense for me; trying to solve the 5Ws and the 1H.

This movie constantly gave me chills. It was freaky, it was disgusting and it was very disturbing. The staging of the murders in the movie was sickening cause everything was realistic.The idea of the movie was already frightening to begin with. However, to top that, they also really invested in the idea by implementing it in a bloody, yet creative manner. The one that shocked me the most was the "lust" section of the movie. It was really appalling to imagine what just happened in that room. But that's the magic of it, they had an idea and broadened it up. How they came up with these ideas, I'll never know. In fact, I don't want to know. But the twisted side of it made me appreciate the brilliance that went to this movie.

I also liked how it ended, The ending, I thought, was a perfect way to complete the list since it was a very smart ending. It caused a highly dramatic moment, much thanks to Pitt's moving performance, and Spacey's cynical glare. It's a twist I liked, although watching it made me feel a little sick. Kevin Spacey's John Doe must be one of the most frightening, insane villain the movie industry has ever produced. The look, the stare, the craziness were all a little scary to see. But it worked.

This movie's considered as one of the best films of all time, and I won't dare disagree with that. The idea behind it, the conceptualization of the movie, to the plot, to the writing, to the directing, to the acting, to the camera shots. Everything was in order and everything harmoniously worked well with each other. It's a smart movie, that's the simplest way to put it. It was interesting and engaging as well that it invited me to take part in it by being a witness to all the madness. Definitely not for the kids, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment