June 12, 2012

The Hangover

Finally I finished watching this movie. I saw the first part of it before but never had the chance to finish it, until now. The Hangover was released in 2009 and starred Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis and Justin Bartha, with Ken Jeong and a special participation of Mike Tyson. It was directed by Todd Phillips and the story was written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. It went on to be very successful earning more than 467 million dollars on a budget of 35 million.

I watched the sequel first before finally finishing the first movie, which is probably the reason why I enjoyed the second one a lot more than you people. I can now understand the people's comments about how the second one was just a replica of the first, and to some extent I think so now too. However, this does not mean to say that the other one was bad, it just means, at least personally, that there were a lot of parallelisms between the two movies. Both of the movies were great, funny, and very entertaining.

It was a little raunchy and a bit vulgar so it may raise flags for some people. Taking that aside, the movie had sufficient material and a very well-thought out, well-written script. It had charm, wits, and a combination of classic and modern humor. I just can't get over how good the script was. It's one of those films that make you swear for all the right reasons cause it's just making you laugh uncontrollably.

Todd Phillips and the writers did so well with this movie. The story was simple, but the development of it was extraordinary. Where else can you see a tiger in a bathroom? It had a lot of elements to it and everything worked. Nothing was overdone considering how extreme the circumstances were. From a lost baby, to a tiger, to a missing friend, to a Chinese mobster, every single detail in the movie showed the process of creating this fantastic movie.

It also helped that they had the actors they had. Starting with Bradley Cooper, I think this movie just boosted his career as he's been constantly snagging movie deals. Zach Galifianakis is a star and one of the better actors in terms of comedy. Everything he does appeals to the audience because he's a quirky actor who can deliver the laughter. Ed Helms is one great comedian and I doubt anyone will deny that. He's just amazing at what he does and the quality of his comedy is at a level well-beyond some. I've been a fan of Justin Bartha ever since I saw the first National Treasures. I loved that movie and its sequel and I keep hoping they'd make a third installment. It's good to see him in another highly successful franchise, although I wish he'd get more screen time and a bigger part. We'll see then they make the third part of the franchise.

The Hangover is definetely a must-watch. Without question, one of the best comedies of 2010. It's been a comedy night for me, watching Get Him to the Greek (http://mrfilmreviewer.blogspot.com/2012/06/get-him-to-greek.html) and The Hangover in one night. The level of entertainment and laughter both films gave me should be illegal. Both films were very funny, intelligent, and insanely entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment